[Mailman-Developers] "Orignal" MySQL Member Adaptor - 1.71

kyrian (List) kyrian-list at ore.org
Wed Jan 7 16:50:11 CET 2009

Fil wrote:
>> It should according to the docs I found, provided I've applied them
>> correctly, fix the non-ASCII character encoding problems (I've relied on
>> the assertions about list members to cover that angle, and just checked
>> encoding on the 'user supplied' parameters to various function calls).
>>
> I finally got the time to look at your character encoding problem and
> patch, and I was not able to make it work. I still getting the dreaded
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
> position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

Seems my "lucky guess" was not so lucky ;-)

I'm pretty sure I said I though it would work but hadn't actually tested
it, anyways. I don't currently have a 'live' mailman+mysql instance
anywhere to test with, for a start. I've got a dedicated development
server set up but not migrated anything like that to it yet.

Also I'm afraid that I'm quite engrossed in writing a plugin for Pidgin
and playing with Asterisk VoIP at the moment, and hadn't really settled
on a time to look at MM again for a while. My first priority would be to
resolve the horrible performance problem without losing the name info as
per a previous email, and then I might look at this, when I get started
back on it again.

The gist of the problem seems to be that you need to treat the strings
as utf-8 or iso-8859-1 encoded 'objects' rather than standard ASCII
string types within the code, and I don't know for sure how to do that.
I'd have to research it as much as you would, unless anyone on-list has
a suggestion about it, or can send me a copy of the Python book that I
can reference for this.

K.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian. E: kyrian@ore.org WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/
Linux/Security Contractor/LAMP Coder/ISP, via http://www.orenet.co.uk/

Human Rights left unattended may be Removed, or Destroyed, or Damaged
                      by the Security Services.