[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code from Mailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Aug 31 20:29:23 CEST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>> What I'm thinking is that there should be a "send me this message"
>> link in the archive, which gets you a copy as it was originally sent
>> to the list.  That let's you jump into a conversation as if you'd
>> been
>> there originally.
>
> I don't understand.  Do you mean the raw message received by the list,
> or the processed message as distributed by the list?  The former means
> you don't have RFC 2369 headers, etc.  I'm not sure I understand what
> the efficacy of the latter is; does address-munging happen only in the
> archives?  I find it hard to believe that could be at all effective,
> except for what I would think is an unusual case (a closed-
> subscription
> list with public archives).

Yes, address munging only happens in the HTML archives and in the
outgoing queue processor.  Mailman keeps a copy of the raw received
message which for MM2 is only in the mbox file, but for MM3 will be in
a "message store".

Let's say I just joined the XEmacs development mailing list after a
long absence.  I find a message in the archive from two years ago that
is relevant to an issue I'm having.  I'd like to follow up to that
message using my normal mail toolchain, but I found the archive page
through Google.  I should be able to click on a link on that page,
enter my email address (perhaps through some validation dance, or
subject to a request governor) and then the message -- as it was
originally copied to the list membership -- would show up in my inbox,
exactly as if I were a list member at the time.

Now I can hit 'reply' and inject myself seamlessly into that 2 year
old thread.

-Barry