[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatterindefault installation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 29 01:57:07 CET 2008

Kenneth Porter wrote:

>Note that black lists don't block anything. They just report. It's like a
>web page that lists some group that the author thinks meets some criteria.
>
>Others can then use the black lists they trust to block unwanted traffic. I
>hardly consider either action to be unreasonable.

That's what the maintainers of black lists say, but in fact, the
popular black lists are almost universally used by people who consider
them a response to the spam problem without considering that the
critera for being blacklisted and for being removed from blacklists
are under control of the operators of the lists who guarantee no due
process and are accountable to no one.