[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatterin default installation

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 29 01:33:39 CET 2008

--On Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:58 AM +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>  > However you know that it's a mortal sin when you end up on several
>  > blacklists (and rightly so!) for having sent backscatter to
>  > innocent bystanders.
>
> Oh, brother!  Look up "vigilante", and meditate on the definition
> until you realize that those are the words of a vigilante.

Is Wikipedia's definition acceptable?

> A vigilante is a person who ignores due process of law and enacts his own
> form of justice when they deem the response of the authorities to be
> insufficient.

I see nothing wrong with that. Where I live, self-defense is acceptable.

Note that black lists don't block anything. They just report. It's like a
web page that lists some group that the author thinks meets some criteria.

Others can then use the black lists they trust to block unwanted traffic. I
hardly consider either action to be unreasonable.

> [...] blacklisting some poor Ubuntu user, who just installs Mailman and
> creates a few lists because it says on the homepage that it tries to
> conform to the RFCs on mailing lists and provides some antispam features,
> and expects that it will therefore DTRT. [...] may be necessary, there's
> no way it's right.

Is it wrong for me to choose to not accept his traffic? Does the
hypothetical "poor Ubuntu user" have a right to set policy on my server?