[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Dynamic Sublists

Jennifer Redman jenred at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:40:45 CET 2008

Hello!

The Systers (http://anitaborg.org/initiatives/systers/) community uses a
modified version of Mailman that extends functionality to include dynamic
sublists (a person can chose to unsubscribe to individual conversations if
they are not interested, without removing themselves from the main list).

The extension has been running well for the last 4+ years, but it's time to
sync to the current version of Mailman to remedy some problems with the
upgrade path, security concerns, and bugs that have appeared due to bit rot.

The original project is located here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsub/

Ellen Spertus, the author of the extensions, posted previously many years
ago -- around 2002 if you'd like to search for the original threads.

My questions for the Mailman Development Community:

1) Is there any interest in helping us bring the code up to date?

2) Is the correct first step to create an unofficial branch and move the
project into Launchpad under the auspices of the Mailman project?

3) Has anyone developed something similar in the past few years which
provides similar functionality that may be an acceptable alternative?

4) What steps would we need to take to get the extensions included upstream?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer