[Mailman-Developers] dkim-signature headers

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Fri Feb 2 01:06:24 CET 2007

Yep, for a time I was doing some testing of DKIM on my server (using the
sendmail milter).  )I was using sendmail at the time, and I have since
switched to Postfix.)  I did stop using DKIM after a while, and one
reason was the mailing list stumbling block.

Since passing messages through Mailman appeared to always render a
signature invalid, it certainly seemed correct to remove the sig from
the header, thus allowing the outgoing MTA the chance to re-sign the
message as the mail list server (not as good as an original sig, but at
least it would pass the DKIM test at the receiving end).  I know that
one is supposed to treat an invalid signature the same as no signature,
but knowingly letting email go out (and it is Mailman that is sending
it) with a bad signature certainly felt "irresponsible" and potentially
misleading.

Now, if it is indeed possible to come up with a way to make Mailman
successfully pass the original signature through validly, that would be
a big win - a real challenge I suspect.  But I guess the big question
now is what to do in the short term.  I'm happy to back out the change,
but perhaps we should let a few others weigh in on this topic first.

					-Joe