[Mailman-Developers] Digest queue possibilities

emf i at mindlace.net
Fri Sep 29 18:10:42 CEST 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> BTW, what do you think about changing the way we hold messages for
> digests?  E.g. instead of putting them in an mbox file, where it's
> more difficult to skip bad messages, stick them in a queue-like
> directory and pull them from there.  Any messages that can't be read
> and scrubbed would just be removed.

I think this would be a great idea, and something like this will be
necessary for the Association of Computing in the Humanities for whom I
may be doing some mailman contract work.

Aside from the specifics that they want, this approach would allow for
much easier implementation of custom digest approaches, like:

* send me a digest of only the Topics I care about
* similarly, send out Topic-specific digests
* let moderators edit digests, minimally selecting what gets included
but maybe up to editing posts, reordering their occurence in the digest,
providing summaries, etc.

None of this is impossible with mbox, but would be easier with
maildir/queue.

~ethan fremen