[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 13:05:43 CEST 2006

--On 19 June 2006 11:31:30 +0100 Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> --On 16 June 2006 13:36:14 -0400 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>

>>>     c) templates for lists. We have four or five basic list styles
>>> (announce/discussion with open/closed membership and umbrella
>>> lists). When
>>> we create a list, I'd like to be able to specify there and then
>>> which style
>>> to use. Such a feature would rely on having a set of files on the
>>> server
>>> that hold the relevant list settings. The UI would simply let me
>>> pick which
>>> style to apply. The task here is not to design the templates, but
>>> to enable
>>> their easy application.
>>
>> +1  I did a little experimentation with this in the mm3 branch and I
>> don't think the basic mechanisms are that difficult.  The UI is the
>> challenge (i.e. how do you set up a style?).
>
> Well, in our case, the styles would be site-wide and set up only once. We
> don't need a UI to set up the styles, because we've already created them.
> Our current workflow is
>     1. Create a list through the UI
>     2. Shell in to the list server
>     3. Run a script which applies the style to the list.
>
> I'd just like to avoid 2. and 3. by having some UI to apply the style on
> creation  - like the subethaedit example.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention there. Someone sent me this link,
<http://subetha.tigris.org/images/list_create.png> and in my
caffeine-deprived haze I didn't notice (a) this is a rival email list
project not the subethaedit text editor, and (b) they hadn't posted to the
list.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex