[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 12:31:30 CEST 2006

--On 16 June 2006 13:36:14 -0400 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

>>     c) templates for lists. We have four or five basic list styles
>> (announce/discussion with open/closed membership and umbrella
>> lists). When
>> we create a list, I'd like to be able to specify there and then
>> which style
>> to use. Such a feature would rely on having a set of files on the
>> server
>> that hold the relevant list settings. The UI would simply let me
>> pick which
>> style to apply. The task here is not to design the templates, but
>> to enable
>> their easy application.
>
> +1  I did a little experimentation with this in the mm3 branch and I
> don't think the basic mechanisms are that difficult.  The UI is the
> challenge (i.e. how do you set up a style?).

Well, in our case, the styles would be site-wide and set up only once. We
don't need a UI to set up the styles, because we've already created them.
Our current workflow is
    1. Create a list through the UI
    2. Shell in to the list server
    3. Run a script which applies the style to the list.

I'd just like to avoid 2. and 3. by having some UI to apply the style on
creation  - like the subethaedit example. I guess it would be nice for the
CGI to look for a style file at -say- /mailman/styles/foo.style and a text
description at /mailman/styles/foo.description - or to extract the
description from the style file.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex