[Mailman-Developers] archiving size issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 9 16:26:53 CEST 2006

Fil wrote:

>To continue this thread I decided to start splitting the big listname.mbox
>files into something like
>        archives/private/listname.mbox/listname-2006-06.mbox
<snip>

>Do you think there can be some unintended consequence? I don't allow
>downloading of the raw .mbox file.

Unless you've done something specific to prevent it, private.py will
always serve the listname.mbox/listname.mbox file whether or not
PUBLIC_MBOX = No.

Your change will stop all private.py access to .mbox files unless
changes are also made to private.py, because it currently only
recognizes the specific name 'listname.mbox/listname.mbox' as a .mbox
file. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on your point of
view.

Also, this will require changes if PUBLIC_MBOX = Yes to account for
multiple .mbox files. It might be worth considering replacing the
existing, monthly .txt files with the monthly .mbox files, but there
are issues here too regarding both exposing the full .mbox information
and the fact that with the suggested change, messages can be in one
month's archive and a different month's .mbox.