[Mailman-Developers] 2.1.8 documentation mismatch

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jun 7 05:49:45 CEST 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:23:08 +0100 (BST)
David Lee <t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Whilst guiding a potential list-owner through the approval/moderation
> procedure, I spotted an inconsistency.  A typical
> "http://.../admindb/..." page ("Administrative requests for mailing
> list: ...") has a four way radio button, with one being labelled
> "Accept".  But its "More detailed instructions" link to "Detailed
> instructions for the administrative database" then has this button
> described under the label "Approve".
>
> This mixture of terminology seems to occur in other places also. You
> might want to consider rationalising these to the same thing for the
> sake of moderators who might be (say) secretarial staff.

I agree, but which is the best term to use?  Reading the dictionary
entries for "approve" and "accept", I think I like the former:

ap_prove

   1. To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
   2. To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction: The
Senate approved the treaty.
   3. Obsolete. To prove or attest.

ac_cept

   1. To receive (something offered), especially with gladness or
approval: accepted a glass of water; accepted their contract.
   2. To admit to a group, organization, or place: accepted me as a new
member of the club.
   3.
         1. To regard as proper, usual, or right: Such customs are
widely accepted.
         2. To regard as true; believe in: Scientists have accepted the
new theory.
         3. To understand as having a specific meaning.
   4. To endure resignedly or patiently: accept one's fate.
   5.
         1. To answer affirmatively: accept an invitation.
         2. To agree to take (a duty or responsibility).
   6. To be able to hold (something applied or inserted): This wood
will not accept oil paints.
   7. To receive officially: accept the committee's report.
   8. To consent to pay, as by a signed agreement.
   9. Medicine. To receive (a transplanted organ or tissue) without
      immunological rejection.

Seems to me that definition #2 of "approve" is the closest to what a
list administrator does.

- -Barry