[Mailman-Developers] Users, persistent storage, caches, etc.

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 21:02:52 CEST 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, John Dennis wrote:

> > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, emf wrote:
> >
> > > Barry, I've read about your SQLAlchemy work and look forward to seeing
> > > that checkin ;)
> > >
> > > 1.) I have to have a concept of user to really improve the user
> > > interface. ...
>
> My apologies, I have yet to read Barry's SQL work so perhaps the issue
> of how a user is defined has been greatly enhanced over the current 2.1
> model. But from earlier work I did on "adapters" I can say Ethan is
> right on with respect to needing per-list information on a user, rather
> than just a global user. Perhaps the right model is a hierarchical
> resolution of attributes, e.g.
>
> Does this list force an override of this attribute?, else
>
> Does the site force an override of this attribute?, else
>
> Is the attribute defined for this user for this list?, else
>
> Is the attribute defined in the user's global properties?, else
>
> Is the attribute defined for the list?, else
>
> Is the attribute defined in the site's global properties?, else
>
> attribute is undefined

Indeed. My own email earlier this evening (UK time!) with its mention of
"site-wide" users was itself a (known) over-simplification.  (I was merely
saying "a keen and selfish +1" for us being able to take advantage of any
existing or imminent work, aligned with Mailman roadmaps, in this area.)

Also high on our wish-list is true "virtual host" capability, and I can
well see that we'd like some variety of how and where users are defined
w.r.t. to this also.

Some sort of inheritance scheme as you describe, which also includes the
"virtual host" element would be good for us.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :