[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request: message_id as replaceable token for footers etc.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jan 18 17:20:15 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:00:52 +0100
Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> At 12:01 AM -0800 2006-01-17, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Long time no talk.  Whaddya think of adding message_id as a
>> replaceable token for footers and the like?  This would allow footers
>> to be constructed which direct URL-reference their own post in an
>> NNTP archive.

> I like the concept, but the only problem is that message-ids are not
> guaranteed unique.  I'd like to see a guaranteed unique id be
> generated on the system, and then have that used as the new
> message-id, displayable in the footers, used as the index reference in
> the mailing list archives, etc....

While true (the non-guarantee), in working across a quarter million
messages in the archives of my various lists I've hit less than a score
of duplicate or missing Message-IDs.  That's a small enough problem that
I'm willing to just eat the conflicts.

--
J C Lawrence                        They said, "You have a blue guitar,
---------(*)                        You do not play things as they are."