[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 3 04:02:30 CET 2006

    Brad> 	But then we're getting dangerously close to tools like
    Brad> Active Spam Killer or TMDA,

Technically, yes.

    Brad> which I am generally violently opposed to.
    Brad> 	Maybe those kinds of tools are appropriate for mailing
    Brad> list use but not personal use, I dunno....

I wouldn't make that distinction.  Rather, I would say, does this
address have to be well-known and open?  (Bug and help lists, yes.)
Can potential users be informed that the address is protected by a
challenge-response system?  (In the README and on the home page, yes.)
Is it better than the alternative of requiring them to subscribe (and
optionally set themselves to no-mail)?  (Not clear, if subject to
further moderation.)

Although I quit TMDA as soon as I realized I'd forgotten to whitelist
my Mom, I'd still consider using it for the address I publish on my
home page, _if it were uniquely for people who view that page_.  Ie,
if I don't ever write mail from that address (or perhaps only in
response to inquiries to that address).

Of course IMHO FWIW YMMV.  HTH.