[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 2 05:05:33 CET 2006

At 8:57 PM -0500 2006-01-01, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  One of the problems that I have with the moderation workflow is that I
>  have to log into every list I'm going to moderate, and then that login
>  authentication is lost when I kill my browser.

	That's why I never kill my browser anymore.

>                                                            I find that my
>  typical approach is to scan the summary, opening any potential ham in a
>  tab window ($1M to whoever thought up /that/ particular browser
>  feature!).  Then I approve all the hams and go back to the summary list,
>  using Skip Montanaro's (IIRC) awesome "discard-all-deferred" feature to
>  finish up the list.

	I do exactly the same.  For smaller lists, or lists with lower
moderation load, that works okay.

	For the larger ones, I'd like to see something like Skip's
"mmfold.py" script that could run locally on the same server where
the lists are located, so that no use of a web browser is required,
and so that the program could directly access the Python pickles in
question.  That would make it a lot easier for me to manage some of
the lists on the other main site where I volunteer.

>  So I'd be interested to hear ideas for improving the admindb interface.

	The admindb interface is one thing that needs improvement.  But
I'd also like to see alternatives we could use that completely avoid
the use of any web browser, etc....

>  Ultimately, my dream is to have an IMAP interface to the admin queue,
>  then I could just move the ham to one special folder and just delete the
>  spam.  I'm not sure exactly how to do rejects, but a "reply" or
>  "forward" is probably good enough.

	IMAP would probably be an improvement over what we have now,
assuming you've got a decent IMAP client -- that's not necessarily a
valid assumption.  But my experience is that IMAP falls down too
(especially depending on the IMAP server implementation), and you
need something even scalable when that happens.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755