[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jan 2 02:57:03 CET 2006

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 18:56 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

> The main problem I think Rocky is experiencing is the problem of absent
> moderators, period.  Rather than some automated method of turning the
> moderator tasks over to others, I suggest that a better way is to more
> closely oversee pending moderator tasks so that the list owner and the
> list server administrator receive notices when a moderator's queue has
> not been recently attended to, and address the lack of moderation while
> the queue is still small and relatively fresh.

One of the problems that I have with the moderation workflow is that I
have to log into every list I'm going to moderate, and then that login
authentication is lost when I kill my browser.

I don't know how common my experience is but I've been terrible lately
in moderating the dozen or whatever lists I'm an admin for.  If it was
just one list, and if I didn't have to go through the login dance every
time, I think I'd do more moderating.  Or if I could log in once and get
to all my lists, that would be much better too.  Of course, that
requires the federated user database that MM3 is all about.

When I do have tme to moderate all my lists, it takes me a long time to
do so, which is why I don't do it very often.  Aside from the login
issues, I think the admindb web interface is just so crappy that it's
really hard to easily separate the wheat from the chaff.  I find that my
typical approach is to scan the summary, opening any potential ham in a
tab window ($1M to whoever thought up /that/ particular browser
feature!).  Then I approve all the hams and go back to the summary list,
using Skip Montanaro's (IIRC) awesome "discard-all-deferred" feature to
finish up the list.

So I'd be interested to hear ideas for improving the admindb interface.
Ultimately, my dream is to have an IMAP interface to the admin queue,
then I could just move the ham to one special folder and just delete the
spam.  I'm not sure exactly how to do rejects, but a "reply" or
"forward" is probably good enough.

-Barry