[Mailman-Developers] suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Aug 8 11:46:48 CEST 2006

--On 7 August 2006 15:28:46 -0400 "Bob Puff at NLE" <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:

> James Ralston wrote:
>
>>     Choices:
>>
>>         [X] Count the bounce against the threshold.
>>         [ ] Forward the bounce to the list owner.
>>         [ ] Ignore the bounce.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I thought there already was a "Forward bounces to admin" setting.  If
> not, there should be (and derfault should be off).  Then, this question
> should be, "Try to interpret content bounces?  Y/N".
>
> It gets messy (and often confusing) combining two selections with one
> question.
>
> IMHO, I really don't care to try to determine content bounces.  I've seen
> many that give no indication of why the message bounced.  The bounce
> processor I wrote for 2.0.x handles these in what I consider an
> appropriate way:
>
> 1. If a user has bounces every day messages are delivered, and this
> continues for x days, they get canned.
> 2. If a day goes by that messages are delivered, and no bounce occurs,
> bounce info is reset.

I've been unsubscribed from Yahoo lists because my server rejects illegally
formatted messages. That's good enough reason for me to support
distinguishing between recipient errors and content errors.

> If people bounce a message every day for a couple weeks, I consider their
> ISP broken enough to warrant unsubscription.

In my case, it wasn't my ISP, or my server that was at fault. It was the
message *senders* mail client that was constructing faulty headers.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex