[Mailman-Developers] The Philosophy of Web Use.

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Aug 1 21:01:21 CEST 2006

>On Jul 7, 2006, at 12:08 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:
>

>OTOH, I've used Linux and OSX, and before that NeXT, Solaris and
>various Unixes for (unfortunately, way :) longer than there's been a
>web, and except for the Windows programming I do at work, haven't
>ever used IE for any substantial amount of time.  I'm not excusing
>poor sites or Windows-specific sites, but for the most part, these
>days most sites are at least usable with Firefox on various
>platforms.  (The one sole recent exception was the SQLAlchemy doc
>pages which gave Firefox fits but rendered just fine in Safari -- and
>I'm sure those guys didn't tailor their pages for IE.).  Yeah, you
>hit the occasional WMV or ActiveX laden site, but I'm much more
>bugged by the Flash-only sites that are an avoidable annoyance for
>me, but I can imagine are a scream-out-loud frustration for screen
>reader based users.

As a screen reader person I will say that Flash-only can be made to
work, there is accessible flash, but it is rarely done.  If it isn't
implemented, a site can be useless, however you can do a good job, my
department did a whole web training thing in accessible flash, and it
works fine for blind users -- which is good since