[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 13 01:36:02 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 04:37, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Hrm.  Maybe a way to turn on X-No-Archive should be part of this
> patch?  (Or does Mailman offer that already?  I don't see it.)

Not on the Mailman side.

> Good trick, that.  Mailman is free software; it will be months before
> the revised code propagates to all the major distros

Or years.  It's bad enough I still get bug reports about Mailman 2.0,
but there are sites still running <shudder> Mailman 1.x.

> , let alone the
> small-time variants.  How long would it take Apple to get a Software
> Update out?  During that period, Mailman is offering a service that it
> can't support.  Nor do I think Mailman's reaction would be
> particularly swift---isn't this the kind of thing that as a technical
> matter really should wait until the next scheduled release?
>
> Again, I'm not really arguing against the patch.  It's the people who
> might be doing extra releases (Barry and Tokio, right?) or answering
> the FAQs (Brad and Mark, primus inter pares) who should decide if it
> belongs in the Mailman distribution.
>
> I do advocate some kind of public statement about the policy toward
> adding new facilities of this kind.  One easy one would be "you write
> the patch, and show that you conform to certain rules such as 'patch
> defaults off' and 'service respects X-No-Archive as well as conforming
> to relevant RFCs', and we'll put it in to the next regular release
> that isn't already in feature freeze."
>
> Or maybe it's worth encouraging such services, and being more helpful
> about it.

I think I've stated my general philosophy in a previous message.  If
WizzyMTA came with a new plug-in, documentation, and some promise of
support help (if only to answer questions on mailman-users), we'd
probably add the module in the next release.  If we had a similar
plug-in architecture for multiple 3rd-party archivers, we'd facilitate
the same kind of thing for that service.  I'd be all for that.

-Barry