[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen larsi at gnus.org
Tue May 3 12:47:38 CEST 2005

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> ... if Mailman is going to endorse services that way.  I don't really
> think it's a good idea in principle, though.  What happens if The Mail
> Archive goes away or goes proprietary?  What are people going to think
> if The Mail Archive's maintainers hire Barry or Brad?  Etc, etc.

(Disclosure: I'm the other archiving service, Gmane.)

I wonder if adding a layer of indirection here would help with these
considerations.

That is -- Mailman could have a box saying "archive using external
archivers" (without saying which external archivers) that list admins
could tick/untick that resulted in a message being sent to a
meta-archival site.  This meta-archival site would then have a list of
external archivers that be notified about the mailing list.

This meta-archive would be run by a third party, and would de-list
any archivers that are naughty.

  larsi at gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen