[Mailman-Developers] middleware requirements contribution

John-Paul Robinson jpr at uab.edu
Fri Mar 11 21:42:55 CET 2005

Hello Mailman Developers,

Some of you may be aware of an Internet2 sponsored and NSF funded effort
to improve the integration of popular open source mailing list software
with emerging middleware technologies for identity management and
authorization.

  http://middleware.internet2.edu/mlist

The mlist working group of Internet2 has been gathering information
related to mailing list software needs of higher education and working on
integration scenarios for mailing list software related to these needs.

As part of this effort, we have put together much of the knowledge we have
gathered over the past year into a how-to guide for mailing list
developers.

  http://webapp.lab.ac.uab.edu/wiki/mlist/index.php/HomePage

Our initial version of this guide has been put together over the past few
weeks in the hopes that it is useful to the Mailman developers in light of
the upcoming Mailman developer sprint at PyCon2005.  We hope that it will
contribute positively to the development requirements of the next major
release of Mailman.

As I mentioned, this is our initial version of the document.  We have put
it online as a wiki in order to solicit feedback on the utility of the
information and to allow people to easily contribute to this discussion.

Please let us know if you find this information useful or if there are
areas you feel should be improved.  Our goal is to provide requirements
guidance to mailing list system developers to help promote the changing
needs of the higher education community.  We feel that these same
requirements represent the future needs of many organizations that use
Mailman and that by addressing the general requirements Mailman will
continue to be a popular and adaptable part of future mailing list
systems.

Thanks for your time and let me know if you have any questions or
requests.

Thanks,

~jpr