[Mailman-Developers] TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jul 24 19:28:59 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 01:40, Ron Jarrell wrote:
> Ok, I think I managed to screw myself.. Long time ago, I updated to the
> cvs snapshot, and forgot to set tags, so I got 2.2a0.  I finally had
> time to try to straighten the mess out and "upgrade" to 2.1.6 (which I
> pulled with tag Release_2_1-maint, so it's post tarball).  Bouncer.py
> keeps blowing chunks knocking out a variety of functions.  An example
> from disabled:
>
> /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/disabled
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/mailman/cron/disabled", line 220, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/home/mailman/cron/disabled", line 204, in main
>     mlist.sendNextNotification(member)
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Bouncer.py", line 270, in sendNextNotification
>     msg['Subject'] = 'confirm ' + info.cookie
> TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects
>
> I'm guessing something in one of the list structures isn't defined right
> now?  Is there perchance a simple fix with withlist I could make?  Update,
> sadly, doesn't do it, even though I forced it.

Ron, in this specific case, I'd suggest just blowing away all the bounce
info associated with the list.  You'll lose any existing information for
bouncing members, but who cares?  You'll just start building up that
information again as you go.

Just load the list into withlist (locked) and set mlist.bounce_info = {}
(i.e. an empty dict), and then save the mlist.  That's untested, but it
should do the trick.

-Barry