[Mailman-Developers] content filtering bug (text/html andtext/plain in multipart emails)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 4 10:59:47 CEST 2005

At 5:48 PM -0400 2005-07-03, Michael Dunlap wrote:

>  Developers- what was the reason for this behavior?  I don't believe this
>  was an arbitrary decision, so what unwanted events is it designed to
>  prevent?

	Features such as converting HTML to plain text, and stripping
various bodypart types, have accumulated in the code over time.  In
that time, some RFC-specific knowledge has been encoded in the
resulting Python.  E.g., the fact that the first part of a
multi-part/alternative is supposed to be the plain-text version.

	So far, the code has focused on doing just the simple things like
stripping specific bodypart types and converting HTML to plaintext.
So far as I know, no one has attempted to generalize this process.
Without any firm evidence to back up my claim, I will say that it is
my belief that doing so will be considerably more complex than the
code that has been developed to date.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755