making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re:[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Thu Feb 17 19:08:01 CET 2005

Dear friends,

I had *no idea* my post was going to generate this level of response.
Thank you all. I'm simply fascinated by the dynamics in the group,
inspired by your generosity, and eager to help out in any way I can.
Let me make a few brief points, then forward another message I just
sent to another list which is inspired by this discussion and by a
number of other ongoing threads that seem to be coming together right
now and make for what I think is a tremendous opportunity for those of
us interested in this yahoogroups type functionality.

1) I am not a coder. I am very into open source software, though, and
have been for a long time. I have installed many open source tools on
the Kabissa server over the years which are used very actively by
people in Africa working for nonprofits. This includes Mailman, phpbb,
horde and more. I am able to hack around in existing scripts and follow
instructions to do limited customization. I've had Mailman running on
Kabissa for over four years now, and have many thousands of posts in
list archives and tens of thousands of subscribers participating in
lists hosted on Kabissa.

2) I am currently dedicated to taking all of these disparate tools that
people are making great use of on Kabissa, and integrating them into a
single community Web site so that they can use them better. I am
therefore interested in Mambo CMS (http://www.mamboserver.com) and am
eager to encourage any efforts that will enable me to take existing
Kabissa services (like Mailman) and integrate them into Mambo
components (existing or new).

3) This is the background to my post about making Mailman CAN-SPAM
compliant. It helps to know that there are developers interested in
addressing usability issues and also to have confirmed that there is a
general understanding that Mailman can be improved.

4) As Brad mentioned, he is now volunteering at Kabissa on mailman
administration.. which is great! With his involvement, there are some
small contributions Kabissa can make as relates to helping others to
make Mailman work well in a plesk/qmail setup like ours, and which I'd
like to see incorporated in future versions of Plesk. However, I think
Kabissa may be able to help more by drumming up interest in Mailman, by
partnering with other likeminded organizations seeking the same
functionality like Bellanet, and perhaps by raising funds to pay for
the development of some key features that Kabissa needs particularly
urgently.

Best wishes,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

* Kabissa's vision is for a socially, economically, politically, and
environmentally vibrant Africa, supported by a strong network of
effective civil society organizations. *