[Mailman-Developers] setup with central database

John-Paul Robinson jpr at uab.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:12:36 CEST 2005

I think this is an excellent example of the type of requirements that
are influencing mailman3.

I've been working as part of the Internet2 Mlist working group over the
last year to help identify these types of requirements (eg. middleware
integration) and what they mean to and how they influence mailing list
software in general. You might find this material interesting:

  http://middleware.internet2.edu/mlist/
  http://webapp.lab.ac.uab.edu/wiki/mlist

If you have a near term deliverable you may want to have a look at an
alternative mailing list service called Sympa (also GPL but Perl-based).
It supports SQL queries for list subscribers.

I'm not advocating competing software, just pointing out options. My
belief is that over the next 5 years we will see mailing list software
become a pluggable component of larger software systems.  All requirements
point in this direction.  Having software that integrates nicely with
external data (leverages middleware in Internet2 terminology) will make it
more likely that one component can be replaced by another if need be.
Similar to how you might choose one word processor over another, depending
on your requirements and personal preferences.

~jpr