[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Oct 18 01:02:44 CEST 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Joe Rhett wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:47:37AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Well, the help for newlist (bin/newlist --help) is pretty clear that
>> the notation name at domain is not the e-mail address of the list but
>> just a way of specifying the web domain.
>
> Right, but it still seems counter-intuitive to me.

I'm with Joe on this one -- just because it's a documented oddity
doesn't make it the right way to do things.

Is there any particular reason we couldn't change the newlist script to
accept "name domain" instead of "name at domain" ?  It's just that much
less confusing if we don't have this thing that looks like an email
address but isn't.  I can't believe anyone's that attached to the
confusing syntax, and the increased usability seems worth the small
patch this'll take.

  Terri