suggestion for Full Customization [Mailman-Developers]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 11 05:52:13 EDT 2004

    Stig> Many customers, who normally only use the net for web and
    Stig> mail, would prefer a mail being sent from Customer Service,
    Stig> and addressed to their own address, so that they know the
    Stig> mail was sent to them, and that they can hit reply to get
    Stig> help.

    Brad> 	That certainly doesn't sound like any "announcement"
    Brad> mailing list I've ever seen.

But it accurately describes every vendor newsletter I'm subscribed to
(about 4 independent ones, some of the companies send 3 or 4, which I
hadn't counted on ;-).  They all have the editor's mailbox in From, my
address in To, no other visible addressee headers.  Some have List-*
headers, others don't.  True, mostly the editor's mailbox screams
"mass mailing", but then so does "Customer Service".

James clearly jerked your chain hard when he wrote

    I don't *WANT* the recipient to reply back to the list--or, for
    that matter, even realize that the message was sent through a
    mailing list at all.  I want the recipient to see an individual
    message that looked like it was sent *from* an individual person
    *to* an individual person.

I agree, without more context that exactly matches the spam I hate
most.  But it's very possible that the members have signed up for it
and want it that way (pastor's newsletter at their church), or didn't
sign up but would appreciate the fiction (holiday mailing to the
extended circle of family and friends).  I'm stretching, I know, but
then the stuff I'm smoking is not so good today.  :-)

And Stig describes a quite different, and very plausible, use for the
same facility.  If James is willing to do the work for it, I think
it's potentially useful, and appropriate to accept it.