suggestion for Full Customization [Mailman-Developers]

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue May 11 03:57:09 EDT 2004

At 1:03 AM +0200 2004/05/11, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:

>  Many customers, who normally only use the net for web and mail, would
>  prefer a mail being sent from Customer Service, and addressed to their
>  own address, so that they know the mail was sent to them, and that they
>  can hit reply to get help.
>
>  I would certainly prefer that, since a not insignificant fraction of the
>  users usually hits "reply to all" anyway.  This creates a lot of
>  unneccesary noise on the moderator interface.

	I've been thinking about this a bit more.  The attributes you're
asking for seem to me to be more appropriate to a Customer Relation
Manager system, not a mailing list management system.

	Any attempt to abuse a mailing list management system (e.g.,
Mailman) into functioning like a CRM are likely to be both
unsuccessful and painful.

	I am a strong advocate of using the right tool for the right job,
and I'm pretty sure that Mailman is absolutely not the right tool for
this one.

	If you (or anyone else) had any patches to bring this kind of
functionality into Mailman, and they could be guaranteed not to
interfere with anything else, I would still be opposed to them, but
there would be fewer logical arguments I could make to support my
case.

	Certainly, I would be strongly opposed to anything that would
make it easier to abuse Mailman into a spamming tool, so you'd need
to make sure that you addressed that issue as thoroughly as possible
in your patches.

	If that issue was addressed, then I'd be left with arguments
relating to code bloat and size of the community (or potential
community) that would benefit from such patches versus the amount of
work that would be required to keep them from suffering excessive
"bit rot".

	However, I think my most persuasive argument would probably be
that this would be a slippery slope and the benefited user community
would then be even more insistent on seeing additional modifications
made in the future to further benefit them to the potential detriment
of the rest of the Mailman community, and the expectations that would
be set up that could cause these two groups to become adversarial
towards each other, with all the resulting fallout, etc....

>  Yes, that same functionality could be used to spam, but in most cases it
>  won't.  Mailman is simply not efficient enough for that purpose. The
>  spammers use hundreds of thousands of worm-infected computers today, to
>  spread messages.

	Those are the end transmission systems for the bulk of the spam
that is sent out, yes.  But there is plenty of spam being sent out
that does not use bot-nets.  Moreover, the spam has to be injected
into these bot-nets, and you would have to be very careful to make
sure that these modifications don't make it easier to abuse Mailman
towards that end.

>  I guess many of my problems could be solved by combining mailman
>  options, but I'd like a "this is an announcement list" option, that does
>  all this for me.

	I really don't think what you're asking for is appropriate to a
mailing list management system.  Try Googling for "customer
relationship management system", or words to that effect.

	At the ISP I use today, and where I previously worked for two
years, they have a simple "POP Bulletin" system to achieve these
goals, with the messages appearing to come from Customer Service and
all replies being sent back to them.  No mailing list management
system involved at all -- indeed no MTAs involved, and no extra
copies of this message stored anywhere on the server, and no
"deliveries" of this message to individual private mailboxes.  You
can achieve the same sorts of things with a shared IMAP folder
system, and subscribing all users to the appropriate shared folder(s).

	If you're not an ISP and you can't use "POP Bulletin" or IMAP
shared folder solutions, then you'd be left with traditional CRM
systems which do actually send out real e-mail messages.