suggestion for Full Customization [Mailman-Developers]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 11 05:13:24 EDT 2004

>>>>> "somuchfun" == somuchfun  <somuchfun at atlantismail.com> writes:

    somuchfun> I am literally shocked to see that you think everyone
    somuchfun> who does not agree with you is a Spamer!

That's not what he said.  He said he can't think of a good reason why
a non-spammer would want to do this, while there are obvious reasons
why spammers would (and we see them do it every day).  I just think
that shows a lack of imagination on his part or maybe he just spent
too much time pushing the "Discard" button this week.

FWIW, I agree with you and James.  For an announcement list it makes
sense to me that the editor's mailbox would be placed in the From
header, and the alias for mass-mailing not be exposed at all.  I think
that would look more "professional".

Just because spammers do it too doesn't make it evil, but it is open
to abuse.  And I agree with Brad that it does change the nature of the
interaction in a way that discomfits me.  Where I differ with Brad is
that I think that's up to the list admin to deal with.  It seems to me
that James has already thought it through, and (despite Brad's
paranoia), would use the facility "responsibly" by Brad's standards.

    somuchfun> I have also watched this and all the other mailman
    somuchfun> lists for a while and came to the conclusion that you
    somuchfun> have your own agenda and idea and push for it

Yup.  That's one reason why Brad is a valuable contributor.  His ideas
are coherent, and he advocates them, backing them up with code or best
practice when appropriate.  All the top contributors do the same,
except maybe Barry, who has to worry more about balance since in the
end he makes the call.

    somuchfun> regardless of what other people think or say.

Take a deep breath ... and have some fun, will ya?