[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request: Jerk Mode

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sat May 8 00:33:58 EDT 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'd like a subscription mode where someone will receive all messages,
> but when they post their message is only delivered back to them.

I don't think this is really appropriate for Mailman as a whole, but it
shouldn't be impossible for you to implement.  How's your Python?  If
you're not too squeamish about poking around in there yourself, I think
you should be able to go take a look at the code designed so people
don't get their own posts, and do the opposite for people with another
bit set.  It's going to mess with your user records and such to have
this extra setting, but if these people are becoming that much of a
problem, it might be worth doing.

If you're not into poking around in Mailman, you could do this before
the message makes it to Mailman -- set yourself up a script that, if
the message comes from a given set of addresses, sends a message back
that looks like it came from mailman (not that hard to forge)
containing that message.  Then don't bother to send the message on to
mailman.  This allows you to keep your solution separate from mailman
so you won't have to remember to change code again and again when you
upgrade (although if your list appearance changes, your "jerk" might
notice the discrepancy... most people tune that sort of thing out
though).  If you're not up for programming this from scratch, you could
probably adapt some "vacation" mail script for the purpose -- I'm sure
a web search would turn up something appropriate.

  Terri