[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Size Issues

Kory Wheatley wheakory at isu.edu
Wed May 5 14:34:14 EDT 2004

I have a critical situation that I need addressed, and it deals with
large messages being sent to mailman mailing lists.

Currently, we have a lot of  large mailing lists (some have 10,000 to
15,000 subscribers) and  some of these lists is all Faculty/Staff email
subscribers that have an account on our mail server.  All messages sent
to these lists are moderated.   Here's the problem, when some of these
pending messages are accepted to be sent, and one of the messages
happens to be 5mb in size, that amount of email that is sent to our mail
server all at once, "kills us", and someday if a larger one is sent, it
will fill up our mail stores and corrupt our mail server.

We can configure our mail server to not accept a message over 5 meg and
that would solve the problem, but our University Advisory Committee
would not allow  that.  They have approved that it be set to 10 meg, for
messages be sent to only one recipient, but individuals who use the
mailing lists, abuse this. Sometimes messages get approved that
shouldn't and we run into this problem

All get to my point, is there a way that if a moderator tries to approve
a message that is over 1 meg, that maybe some custom python code could
be developed to pop up a message and say "Only messages below 1 meg can
be approved"  and have the message discarded, or tell the user the only
option they have is to discard the message.

I know there's the "max_message_size" option you can set, but that still
sends the message to the pending database and they can still accept the
message,  rather than discard the message when its above that size.

Any Solution?  I know you will want to say change your policy on your
mail server, but at this point it's not a option.

--
Kory Wheatley
Academic Computing Analyst Sr.