[Mailman-Developers] Maybe you guys can help me

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue May 4 16:23:07 EDT 2004

> handlers, I asked for help with modifying one of them, and everybody
> treats me like I'm asking for how to draw a moustache on the Mona Lisa.
>
> The code is already a nest of special cases.  It won't hurt the
> pristine
> nature of the perfect code to add a small check and NOT mishandle one
> thing that is erroneously treated as a bounce.

but that ignores a core point.

"can do" is one thing. Can it be done? sure. But the real question is
"should do", and it should be clear now that many of us feel it's the
wrong thing to do on a philsophical level. Just because you CAN do
something doesn't make it something you OUGHT to do, or the right
thing.

>  I guess I'll buy a
> Python book and do it myself.

which is always an option, but it doesn't solve the problem. in fact,
it encourages the wrong behavior to continue. your choosing quiet over
justice (to misquote bill cosby) only makes it worse for everyone else,
because it doesn't help the common good of fixing the baseline problem
by encouraging the ISP to fix its stupid mailer.

And you're welcome to make that choice -- but don't get pissed at the
project for not helping you do something the project sees as not an
improvement or bad for the common good.