[Mailman-Developers] [Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>] Re: Bounce removal parameters default values

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 04:20:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 21:19, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Upgrade to Mailman 2.1.5, which sends out probe messages after the
> bounce threshold is reached.  Members will only get disabled if the
> probe message bounces, it should be computationally infeasible to forge
> a probe bounce, and bogus probes bounces are simply ignored.  When a
> probe is sent, the member's bounce score is reset to zero, since it's
> impossible to tell whether the probe actually reached its destination --
> all you know is that it hasn't bounced... yet.

It will be interesting to see how this works in practice against one
pathological bouncer I have on the exim list...
Approximately one message in 10 (by volume - I can't match the bounces
to any particular message) generates a bounce which has no useful
information in it at all.  The exim.org box is still running Mailman
2.0.x (very old box - about to be replaced with something with a better
than clockwork CPU) so I can't do generic VERP , but VERP probes have
failed to establish the link to the original address on the list... I am
now wondering if someone is just sending me random bounces for the hell
of it....

	Nigel.