[Mailman-Developers] Relocating a list

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 09:46:48 CEST 2004

We are (finally) about to upgrade exim.org to a less obsolete version of
Mailman [the excuse up to now has been that the box was overloaded and a
Pentium 200 wouldn't handle the upgrades needed to get current!].

In one transition we intend to:-
      * Move to new hardware (Original pentium to P-IV)
      * Move to a new OS (Linux (RH7.3) to FreeBSD)
      * Move to a new Python (1.5.2 to 2.3)
      * Move to a new directory layout

and we would like to keep the change relatively transparent :-)
In particular we would like to keep the archive URLs stable, so
regenerating the archives from the mboxes is not really an option
despite the fact it would give us slightly better handling of the few
attachments that have made it to the list.  [The archives have had
messages removed in the past so a regenerate would not keep numbering
stable]

I've just been looking at Barry's notes for his list relocation at
  http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers@python.org/msg03127.html

Would the process detailed there work OK for this sort of move -
obviously I need to transfer the complete tree for a list from the old
machine to the new one, but thats easy enough.
The main thing I was wondering about is whether the python saved files
(ie the list db file etc) will transfer OK, or whether they have
machine/os/python-version dependencies that will preclude doing things
this way?

Cheers
	Nigel.