[Mailman-Developers] Alternate user (and admin) interfaces

Adam Steer adam.steer at alia.org.au
Thu Jul 15 01:10:02 CEST 2004

have a look at http://lists.alia.org.au

It's been alot of work, mainly because I'm not a Python programmer, or
really a programmer at all. Our aim was to produce a look-and-feel
consistent with the rest of our site, and also try to achieve our
advertised levels of HTML/CSS compliance [yeah, still using HTML] - and
have the thing integrate with some internal info we keep about our
lists.

The interface has been made by hacking the templates we use, then
digging deeper and making changes to the htmlformatting scripts, and
some of the Gui scripts, and more. Our archives are still in the dark
ages, but we're messing around with MHonArc to achieve what we want
there [and have a config file as long as your arm...]

Some people have made patches that allow modification in far better
Python than mine, I'm sure [ in fact someone posted here recently about
'skinning mailman']. My aim is to keep chipping away until I understand
Mailman well enough to take all the formatting away from Mailman and
make it call page components when it needs to. Much more Python study to
do!

MM 2.1.x seems lots better than 2.0, but it's still not too easy [for a
gumby Python hacker] to change the way MM looks.

I'm happy to provide more detail for anyone who might be keen to find
out what it took. Also, we've got 2.1.5 running on SuSE [8.2 and 9.1]-
and we're happy to share config information about getting that done,
too. Just a long --config away, really.

cheers
Adam.

--
Adam Steer
Web publishing officer

>>> Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> - 15/7/04 7:07 AM >>>
I've been searching around for people's experiences implementing
alternate web interfaces for Mailman, but I've been surprised not to
find much.