[Mailman-Developers] why treat action: delayed in DSN as an unrecognized bounce?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Jul 4 20:32:42 CEST 2004

I am using MM 2.1.4 and have been getting some "Uncaught bounce
notification" messages from it.  The MTA is Postfix (a 2.1.0 snapshot as
of 20040209) and it is the local MTA (i.e. on the same machine and in
the same administrative domain as MM) that is generating the bounces,
complete with DSNs.

The issue seems to be that the Action: in the DSN is "delayed".  These
delivery notifications are the "we have been trying for 4 hours and have
not been successful but will try for 5 days before giving up" kind of
notifications.

Looking into the DSN handling code for MM, I see that in DSN.py, the
check() method returns "Stop" if action == 'delayed'.  The caller
(BouncerAPI.py:ScanMessages()) then returns an empty list if the callee
returns Stop, which triggers the "unknown bounce" processing.

Why is delayed not handled more gracefully than treating it as an
unknown bounce type?  Or am I totally missing something here?

Thanx,
b.