[Mailman-Developers] prevent qp as qp routine broken

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Sun Jan 25 11:50:01 EST 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 15:45, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

> > There's no such text in the german translation for 2.1...
> > neither in subscribeack.txt, nor anywhere else.
>
> Of course not, this is a list specific subscribeack.txt that I created
> for each of our lists.

Ah ok, maybe we're getting closer to the solution...

> But what the heck :) has the (arbitrary) text itself to do with the fact
> that Mailman creates a technically wrong and therefore ugly qp'd output
> upon sending such texts?  It would do so with the original
> subscribeack.txt in exactly the same manner.

That text is not completely arbitrary: there's a little structure in those
apparently flat files!
The rationale is that, after variable interpolation, the text could become
more ugly than you reported, because we don't know in advance how many chars
will be used for each interpolation placeholder.
For this reason, after interpolation in Utils.maketext() the resulting string
is filtered by Utils.wrap(), which basically reflows all not-indented
paragraphs.
Probably you wrote your templates without taking care of these rules, and get
ugly results.

If you want to completely disable the re-flowing logic, you should add a
"raw=True" parameter to Utils.maketext() calls (e.g. at line 58 of
Deliverer.py), or just change the defaults (at line 384 for Utils.py), by I
bet after some experimentation you'll prefer to rollback ;)

> Hey - anybody around who wouldn't mind to answer my original question?
> :)  I'm asking questions and what I'm getting are more questions...  I'm
> happy to answer them but at some stage an answer to my question would
> also be nice, so:
> At this stage I just need to know how to prevent Mailman from qp'ing.

I'm not responding to this because I don't know.
I've insisted on the thread above because I think that's your real problem.

> Simone, there is BTW still another open question in
> <91HicwPppwB at my.freexp.de> (how to make fuzzy translations non-fuzzy).

You simply fix that translation string (if needed) and remove the fuzzy line.
Translation tools (such as kbabel) will do this automatically as soon as you
touch that string.