[Mailman-Developers] Admins not getting admin messages

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 3 14:43:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 08:49, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> After upgrading from MM 2.0 to 2.1 several months ago, admin messages
> (pending subscriptions, mail from non-members) stopped going to the three of
> us who administer the cedu mailing list.  We don't learn about this stuff
> until the daily summary of administrative requests comes out.  Furthermore,
> mail sent to the cedu-admin address generates an uncaught bounce
> notification.  We used to use that address to communicate amongst ourselves.
> The alias definitions for the list are
>
>     cedu:              "|/etc/smrsh/mailman post cedu"
>     cedu-admin:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman admin cedu"
>     cedu-bounces:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman bounces cedu"
>     cedu-confirm:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman confirm cedu"
>     cedu-join:         "|/etc/smrsh/mailman join cedu"
>     cedu-leave:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman leave cedu"
>     cedu-owner:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman owner cedu"
>     cedu-request:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman request cedu"
>     cedu-subscribe:    "|/etc/smrsh/mailman subscribe cedu"
>     cedu-unsubscribe:  "|/etc/smrsh/mailman unsubscribe cedu"
>
> /etc/smrsh/mailman is a symlink to /home/mailman21/mail/mailman.
>
> Mail sent to the cedu-owner address seems to go to all three of us.  What I
> don't understand is what the cedu-admin address is for and where the admin
> messages are going.
>
> It seems clear that I missed something during the 2.0->2.1 upgrade, but I'm
> at a loss to see what.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

In MM2.1, the -admin address is an alias for -bounces not -owner.  This
is primarily for backwards compatibility reasons.  Note however that
immediate admin notifications should go to the -owner address, not
-admin.  In fact, you should treat -admin as deprecated; eventually it
will go away.

In the General admin page, check the value for admin_immed_notify.  That
controls whether you get those pending subscription notifications and
such.