[Mailman-Developers] Admins not getting admin messages

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 08:49:31 EST 2004

I'm sorry to bomb this list with user issues.  I've sent a couple notes to
mailman-users about this and received no responses, not even "i don't know"
or "what have you been smokin'?" mails.

After upgrading from MM 2.0 to 2.1 several months ago, admin messages
(pending subscriptions, mail from non-members) stopped going to the three of
us who administer the cedu mailing list.  We don't learn about this stuff
until the daily summary of administrative requests comes out.  Furthermore,
mail sent to the cedu-admin address generates an uncaught bounce
notification.  We used to use that address to communicate amongst ourselves.
The alias definitions for the list are

    cedu:              "|/etc/smrsh/mailman post cedu"
    cedu-admin:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman admin cedu"
    cedu-bounces:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman bounces cedu"
    cedu-confirm:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman confirm cedu"
    cedu-join:         "|/etc/smrsh/mailman join cedu"
    cedu-leave:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman leave cedu"
    cedu-owner:        "|/etc/smrsh/mailman owner cedu"
    cedu-request:      "|/etc/smrsh/mailman request cedu"
    cedu-subscribe:    "|/etc/smrsh/mailman subscribe cedu"
    cedu-unsubscribe:  "|/etc/smrsh/mailman unsubscribe cedu"

/etc/smrsh/mailman is a symlink to /home/mailman21/mail/mailman.

Mail sent to the cedu-owner address seems to go to all three of us.  What I
don't understand is what the cedu-admin address is for and where the admin
messages are going.

It seems clear that I missed something during the 2.0->2.1 upgrade, but I'm
at a loss to see what.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html