[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 11:00:58 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 10:00 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 7:05 PM -0700 2004-08-30, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> 	Well, if you check the archives and the FAQ, in the past Red Hat
> and Red Hat derived distributions have had certain known problems
> with the RPMs that they have made available, but I don't know about
> the current RPMs.  Given their past history, my view is that you
> might want to try to avoid them if you can.

I'd tend to take this as:-
      * Mailman is a bitch to package
      * RH have packaged it for a while
      * RH found a good few of the gotchas in packaging Mailman
      * RH have subsequently learnt from their mistakes and recently
        have produced good packages.
      * Other distros may do better, or may yet have to learn from their
        mistakes :-)

Just for the record, the errata FC1 packages, and all the FC2 packages
worked fine for me.  However I don't run Mailman on production on FC*
(due to the machine provided by Cambridge Uni for exim.org running
FreeBSD).

> 	Myself, I prefer FreeBSD, but then I know that OS choice is a
> very personal matter.

Heh - transferring to FreeBSD has been very much a learning experience.
Best to ask me in a year what I think of it :-)

	Nigel.