[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 31 10:00:03 CEST 2004

At 7:05 PM -0700 2004-08-30, Adam Boettiger wrote:

>  Of the following, is there a distribution that plays better with Mailman
>  than any of the others? :)
>
>  CentOS 3.1
>  Debian 3.0r1
>  Fedora Core 1
>  Gentoo Linux 2004-06-29
>  Mandrake 9.1
>  Red Hat 8.0
>  Red Hat 9.0
>  Slackware 10
>  Slackware 9.0

	Well, if you check the archives and the FAQ, in the past Red Hat
and Red Hat derived distributions have had certain known problems
with the RPMs that they have made available, but I don't know about
the current RPMs.  Given their past history, my view is that you
might want to try to avoid them if you can.

	Within python.org itself, the preferred Linux distribution so far
has been Debian, although I don't know if all machines run Linux.

	Can't speak for any of the others.  I don't have any personal
experience with any of them.

	Myself, I prefer FreeBSD, but then I know that OS choice is a
very personal matter.

	For example, within python.org, OS choice for the machines has a
lot to do with where the system is physically located and who is
going to be primarily responsible for going on-site and doing things
to the machine at the console, if something should seriously break,
and what the personal preferences are of that person/team.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755