[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 30 19:10:30 CEST 2004

Adam Boettiger wrote:
> Apologies in advance for this basic of a question but this is
> technical in nature and thus doesn't seem appropriate for the
> users or list owners lists.
>
> Is there a listing somewhere for the minimum requirements or
> recommended config for running Mailman WRT machine, ram etc.
>
> My specific question is if it is possible to run it on a VPS such
> as http://www.linode.com/ ?

Sure.  I'm not sure what Mailman's minimum requirements are, but a VPS
will certainly satisfy them.  I have Mailman running in a VPS.
Obviously, depending on your usage, you may have problems.  But I'd
actually suspect not -- you can use swap to keep from running out of
memory, and Mailman's disk usage is reasonable (not counting archives).
There's no real minimum CPU speed.  And actually, Mailman will work
fairly well with a modest CPU, since it queues its work -- a VPS will
typically have a fair amount of CPU available to it, but at any one
moment it may not (depending on what the other VPSs are doing).  If you
have a lot of traffic, I would only expect the lists to get slower, not
for Mailman to fail in any catastrophic way.  Of course, YMMV.