[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Aug 30 19:03:49 CEST 2004

At 9:39 AM -0700 2004-08-30, Adam Boettiger wrote:

>  Is there a listing somewhere for the minimum requirements or
>  recommended config for running Mailman WRT machine, ram etc.

	Not that I know of, no.  Everything depends on how many
subscribers you will have, how those subscribers are distributed (are
they all on one server, or are they spread amongst multiple servers),
what kind of traffic you foresee (i.e., lots of large attachments or
short text-only messages), how many messages per day you anticipate,
whether or not you enable VERP, etc....

	For a small list, a Compaq Armada 4131T with a 133MHz Pentium-1
processor, 48MB of RAM, and a 1GB hard drive, should be sufficient.

>  My specific question is if it is possible to run it on a VPS such
>  as http://www.linode.com/ ?

	VPS?  You mean a virtual server system such as provided by
VMWare, or Xen, or jail() under FreeBSD?

	Technically, yes -- it should theoretically work.  But there are
always slightly little strangeness things that could always interfere
with that kind of operation.

	The only way to know for sure would be to try it out and see what happens.

>  If yes, this seems a more cost-effective alternative to paying
>  for a dedicated box.

	It might work for you, or it might not.  It's going to be
difficult to tell unless you try it out, and I would imagine it would
probably be pretty much impossible for anyone else to give you any
really strong guidance on this matter unless you can give us a lot
more details of what you've got planned.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755