[Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 27 00:02:16 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:53, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	I must confess that I didn't know that we were making any use of
> BerkeleyDB.  However, I would have recommended that we use it as an
> alternative to the Python pickle format, if we weren't already using
> it.

Only in MM3, with experimental, unsupported MemberAPI backend for MM2.
Definitely nothing official.

> 	Except for the mmap()/NFS issue, IMO BerkeleyDB is the fastest,
> most robust, open source database solution around.  No, it's not SQL.
> But it is the key technology differentiator between MySQL and MaxSQL,
> and is what allows MaxSQL to finally satisfy all of the ACID criteria.
>
> 	But it's not SQL.

It is a requirement that a BerkeleyDB backend be possible for MM3.

However, it is not a requirement that such a backend be the default, and
highest possible performance from the default configuration is not as
important to me as simplicity of use.  So far, SQLite wins on that
count.  All this would mean is that I would be personally responsible
for the SQLite backend.  I would do everything possible to help
facilitate community contribution of a BerkeleyDB backend, and I would
include it in the standard distro as long as there were volunteers to
maintain it.

-Barry