[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1.2 doesn't work with postfix-style virtual domains + patch

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Sat Sep 13 21:07:53 EDT 2003

    baw> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 05:46, Steve Alexander wrote:
    >> Mailman 2.1.2 writes out a "sendmail-style" virtual-mailman
    >> file rather than a "postfix-style" virtual-mailman file.
    >>
    >> I don't know whether this is what is intended, but it seems
    >> counter to what I read in the README.POSTFIX file, and using
    >> the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS setting.

    baw> Actually, while it may not be entirely clear from
    baw> README.POSTFIX, my intention was that you set up your
    baw> Postfix-style virtual domains in Postfix first, e.g. such
    baw> that /path/to/postfix/etc/virtual-example would contain the
    baw> "example.com IGNORE" line.

    baw> As Robby said though, any duplicate IGNORED lines probably
    baw> won't hurt, so your patch may be helpful for some sites.
    baw> I'll test it on my own servers to make sure.

ISTM the Postfix documentation is pretty clear with one

        virtual-alias.domain   anything

line.  Anything else even that might "work" would be exploiting an
undocumented feature that might well change without notice, IMHO.

,----[ man virtual ]
VIRTUAL(5)                                                          VIRTUAL(5)

NAME
       virtual - format of Postfix virtual alias table

[[ .... ]]

       Support for a virtual alias domain looks like:

       /etc/postfix/main.cf:

           Note: some systems use dbm databases instead of hash.  See the out-
           put from postconf -m for available database types.

       /etc/postfix/virtual:
           virtual-alias.domain anything (right-hand content does not matter)
           postmaster at virtual-alias.domain      postmaster
           user1 at virtual-alias.domain   address1
           user2 at virtual-alias.domain   address2, address3

       The virtual-alias.domain anything entry is required for a virtual alias
       domain. Without  this  entry,  mail  is  rejected  with  "relay  access
       denied", or bounces with "mail loops back to myself".

`----

        jam