[Mailman-Developers] implementing real virtual domain support in mailman

Klavs Klavsen kl at vsen.dk
Sun Sep 7 03:26:19 EDT 2003

Hi guys,

I'm new to mailman, but I can see that it does't support real virtual
domains, because it stores all lists as lists/listname - instead of
lists/listname at virtualdomain.tld

I was thinking that support for this could easily be added by
manipulating this variable:

LIST_DATA_DIR   = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'lists')

I'm thinking it could be done in two ways, where each virtualdomain would have their own
lists-folder:

1) every occurence of VAR_PREFIX in the code, would then
just be replaced with VAR_PREFIX . VAR_VIRT (or some variable name,
indicating the virtualdomainname requested) - and the lists folder would
be lists-virtualdomainname for everything except for the main address,
where VAR_VIRT would ofcourse be empty. This also includes that the VAR pointing to the mailbox/maildir's
should have VAR_VIRT appended to the name.

2) Instead going through all the code, and adding VAR_VIRT to selected variables, perhaps
perhaps a better way exists?

I've never coded python before, but it looks as this would be easily doable, but then again I'm new to mailman and therefore I'm hoping to get your feedback on this idea, before I start working on implementing it.
I'm sure you've had thoughts about how this could be done best - afterall this is on the ToDo-List  - please share them :)

I've never coded python before, but It looks as this would be easily
doable, but then again, I'm new to mailman and there I was hoping to get
your feedback on this idea, before I start implementing it.

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl at vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.