[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] mailman3 README.txt, NONE, 3.0

Harald Meland harald.meland at usit.uio.no
Mon Sep 8 00:30:50 EDT 2003

[Barry Warsaw]

> On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 00:37, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>> It might be a bit of extra work, but why not just copy the files around in
>> the repository? History is important! :-)
>
> Two reasons:
>
> - I'm not even sure what the directory structure is going to look like
> yet, and I don't really know how, if, or which old files will map into
> new files.
>
> - It's a royal PITA to do this when you don't have direct access to the
> repository.
>
> For now, this is all extremely experimental.  I just need a place to
> check in some noodlings so the code isn't just sitting on my disk.

[ Replying to a 3.5-months-old message... hopefully my response lag
  time will improve shortly. :-) ]

If there is enough demand for tree reorganization to require using a
completely new CVS module, has any thought been given to switching to
a revision control system that actually *supports* renames?

There seems to be quite a few of them about, and in particular GNU
Arch appears to have gotten a popularity boost recently.
--
Harald