[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 30 00:00:40 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 23:37, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> <troll>
> until you have to split it across two disks because one is full.
>
> and don't forget, a single monolithic storage file gets backed up fully
> every time you change it. The guy in charge of buying tapes to back up
> your system just screamed in agony, since there's no possibility of an
> incremental backup for what is 99.9999999% static data.

> </troll>

Actually, newer versions of ZODB have a script called repozo.py which
makes incremental backups feasible.  It knows a lot about FileStorage's
formats.  Also note that there are alternative storage implementations
such as BerkeleyDB-based storage (slow, but presumably more reliable)
and the 3rd party DirectoryStorage.

We'll talk about databases in another thread.  I have my own biases, but
I'm too tired now to get into it.