[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Oct 29 16:11:01 EST 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 1:05 PM, David Birnbaum wrote:
> 1.  grep, perl, awk, vim, emacs, cp, mv, tar, etc. don't work too well
> on
>     SQL databases, but are nice for admins who want quick and dirty
>     searching, move mailman to a new machine, or need to poke around.

and given how many admins never see anything but the web site, that's a
nice thing, but far from an important one.

> 2.  third-party add-ons make it that much harder to install.  If I
> have to
>     set up a Mysql or Postgres database to use Mailman, it's a step
> that
>     will put off people who don't already have it going.

actually, if you do it right, it's much easier -- because when you
build in those tools, you build in standardized interfaces that third
party add-ons can access, instead of the current case, which are code
hacks that break every time Barry burps at the CVS server...