[Mailman-Developers] FW: [Mailman-Users] DirecPC, MailShield and VERP

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 18:38:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 06:58  pm, Jeff Hahn wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure a way around this problem...  Any ideas on
> a way
> to say "don't VERP this address"?

Maybe if you restrict VERP'ing to personalised deliveries (in
mm_cfg.py) and do not personalise mail for a list with problem
subscriber addresses then the list's outgoing messages will not be
VERP'ed and hence rejected. Pity to lose the benefits of
personalization and VERP but it may the only solution if you cannot
persuade the destination mail domain's postmaster to fix his MTA/Spam
filter.

> Thanks!
>
> -Jeff

A VERP'ed address is just a valid mail alias @ a mail domain. It is
either a bug or misconfiguration that causes refusal to accept a
perfectly valid mail address as the envelope return path or in the
From: header. From the non-VERP'ed message it looks as though the
problem may be with something called MailShield ??maybe this being the
Lyris spam filter product - all X,000 dollar license of it??.

The whole point of a VERP'ed return address is that, because it is just
a valid email address, it only has to be 'understood' and 'decoded' by
the originating system's MTA if it is returned. For all the MTAs
between originator and recipient's MUA, the presence/absence of
VERP'ing is irrelevant and not their concern.

What appears to be causing your problem is a badly
implemented/configured spam filter which is applying an invalid policy
to reject you messages; I suspect it may be some rule about the length
of the mail alias in the return path or, heaven forfend, the From:
header. The VERP'ed alias may be longer than some arbitrary limit being
applied.